Check out these other great forumsSoundSolutionsAudio.comAudioAddicts.netCarAudio-Forum.comCarAudioResources.comHomeAudioForum.net

Welcome to Car Audio Resources | The original Car Audio Forum.
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Round Ports

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

manofsteel

manofsteel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationModesto, CA

I have always done slot ports when building boxes and I use the rule of thumb of 12-16 in2 for each cubic foot. I generally stay around 13-14". I want to use round ports and haven't found any good information on them. I am not going to use aeros, just black pipe with rounded edges. The old school rule that I remember is to use a round port that is 1/3-1/2 the diameter of the driver, regardless of box volume. I have heard that I should use the same area as a I would use for a slot port and I have also heard that I should use slightly less area than a slot port but was never told how much less. Anyone have any input on this? I am working on designing my system and box so I am looking at all my options. Thanks. My goal is not all out SPL. I guess I'm an SQL guys. I want it to sound good and loud. I like deep bass. I'm considering using either four 12's or two 15's and pushing them with around 1500 watts.

Aaron Clinton

Aaron Clinton

• Administrators
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

I wish I could help, I have always done slot ported.  There are online calculators for round or areo ports.

manofsteel

manofsteel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationModesto, CA

Thanks, same here. I have a few calculators saved on my favorites and I could download winisd again. I am going to use two Sundown E15's in my next system. I thought I might need to save a little airspace with the round ports but I don't think it will be an issue. I ordered my deck today, just getting ready for everything else.

manofsteel

manofsteel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationModesto, CA

Just thought I would share this. From everything that I've read about round ports, this is what I've got. A round port should be 1/3 to 1/2 the diameter of the driver regardless of the size of the enclosure. For example, a 12" sub should have either a 4 or 6" port. An 8" sub should have a 2-4" port. I can't say for sure that this is 100% accurate, this is just what I have picked up from different sites. If anyone else wants to add something, feel free. And if I'm wrong please correct me, I don't want to give out incorrect information.

Aaron Clinton

Aaron Clinton

• Administrators
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

There are rules of thumb for a reason, but port mach needs to be taken into account.

manofsteel

manofsteel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationModesto, CA

I still use Winisd to help me design my boxes, the port mach speed is a great feature on there.

Aaron Clinton

Aaron Clinton

• Administrators
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

I need to get my old Dell back up and running to be able to mess with L.E.A.P. more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users